There is nothing wrong with getting older. In fact, it’s a privilege to experience. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t feel good at any age.
Fortunately, numerous products are on the market to help you through your skincare journey, including toners and cleansers, moisturizers, and eye creams.
But if you don’t know where to begin, you’ve come to the right blog; as we’ve discussed, yerba mate is a skincare ingredient in eye creams that are perfect for mature skin. This key skincare ingredient is backed by science and worth incorporating into your life.
What Is Yerba Mate?
Not many people realize that Yerba Mate has been around since the 17th century. In its raw form, yerba mate is derived from the holly family known as Ilex paraguariensis.
Not only does this plant have caffeine in it, which is good for skincare – especially for older skin – but it is also rich in vitamins and antioxidants and possesses powerful antibacterial properties.
What Starts Happening to Your Skin Once You Reach 30 And Beyond: Why Yerba Mate Is Crucial
Yerba mate is an ingredient you need to have in your skincare routine – including your eyecare. There are many reasons for this. Let’s take a look at what happens to your skin as you hit 30 and onwards:
- In your 30s: During your 30s, your skin’s collagen and elastin production will begin to decline more rapidly, so many start to notice fine lines creasing their skin – especially around the eyes. Your skin will also appear duller and rougher since cell turnover declines in one’s 30s.
- In your 40s: When you enter your 40s, your elastin and collagen production will continue to decline. This leads to the appearance of wrinkles on the face and around the eyes.
- In your 50s and beyond: In your 50s, estrogen levels will decline, and androgen levels will rise, leading to thinner skin. Unfortunately, this leads to moisture loss, dryness, sunken skin, acne, and, eventually, more wrinkles.
Yerba Mate: The Best Eye Cream Skincare Ingredient for Mature Skin
It’s evident that as we age, our skin needs a little more TLC in the form of nourishing skincare products.
Yerba mate is a popular skincare ingredient as it is found to be very beneficial.
Let’s take a closer look at what yerba mate possesses to make it one of the best eye cream skincare ingredients for mature skin:
- Polyphenols: Contains antioxidant properties and promotes cellular regeneration
- Saponins: Helps to moderate appetite, leading to weight loss and better skin elasticity and collagen
- Theobromine: Helps to relax facial muscles and acts as a stimulant
- Vitamin A: Helps to make skin firmer by increasing healthy skin cell production
- Vitamin B1: A powerful antioxidant that helps prevent and reduce signs of aging, like blemishes, age spots, fine lines, and wrinkles
- Vitamin B2: Helps to prevent acne, dermatitis, and eczema, and it also plays a vital role in the repair of tissues
- Vitamin C: Boosts collagen production while diminishing the signs of sun damage on the skin