Many people develop fine lines under their eyes. Fine lines under the eyes are a natural part of the aging process.
After all, as we age, our skin loses its ability to renew itself, and its natural production of collagen and elastin decreases, causing thinning under the eyes.
Fortunately, there are several ways to address the issue of fine lines under the eyes. In this blog, we’ll detail the causes and how to reduce their appearance.
What Are the Different Types of Under Eye Wrinkles?
There are primarily two types of under-eye wrinkles (or fine lines). They are known as static wrinkles and dynamic wrinkles.
Dynamic wrinkles occur when you move parts of your face. For example, when you laugh, cry, yell, smile, or talk. Static wrinkles are fine lines that don’t go away when your face is immobile, and there isn’t any muscle movement.
What Are the Causes of Fine Lines Under Eyes?
Now that you know the different types of fine lines that appear beneath the eyes, it is time to look at common causes:
- Sun exposure: Those who are in the sun often have a higher chance of developing fine lines under the eyes. This is because UVA and UVB rays from the sun damage skin and cause wrinkles.
- Aging: With the skin underneath your eyes thinning as you age, developing fine lines is normal. Usually, the skin under your eyes will start to show the first signs of aging.
- A high-sugar diet: Few realize that a high-sugar diet leads to the development of fine lines underneath the eyes. This is because sugary foods are low in antioxidants, so they hasten the process of wrinkles, lines, and aging.
- Eye-rubbing: Rubbing your eyes constantly day in and day out can lead to the formation of fine lines underneath the eyes. Since the skin is delicate and thin, rubbing it often will break down elastin faster.
- Smoking: Unfortunately, smokers are more likely to develop fine lines under the eyes. Smoking exposes the eye to oxidative stress, damaging elastin and collagen and leading to wrinkles.
Tips for Getting Rid of Fine Lines Under Eyes
If you’ve read this far, you’re ready to learn how to get rid of lines under eyes.
Here are a few lifestyle and skincare tips to follow that could help with reducing the appearance of fine lines:
- Practice daily facial expressions.
- Avoid the sun and always use sunscreen.
- Cleanse your face twice in the evenings and once in the morning.
- Ensure your skin remains hydrated with a moisturizer that contains sunscreen for day-wear and retinol for evening-wear.
- Use an eye cream that boosts circulation.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet.
- Ensure you’re sleeping enough.
- Try to quit smoking.
Read more: How to Get Rid of Dark Circles under Eyes
The Wrap-Up on Under-Eye Wrinkles
There isn’t anything wrong with having fine lines underneath your eyes, but we understand if you don’t like their appearance.Fortunately, you now know the causes and how to prevent them, as well as how to reduce their appearance. If you use the right skincare products and follow our advice, you should have no problem addressing fine lines under the eyes.