Unfortunately, winter weather is harsh on the skin. This means you must give your skin extra attention during the winter months. But you don’t need to fret, as taking care of your beautiful skin during the colder season isn’t as difficult as you might imagine.
Since everyone can benefit from caring for their skin during the winter, this blog discusses the skincare routine you should follow to avoid dry and irritated skin. We’ve also shared a few must-follow skincare tips to ensure your skin remains healthy all winter.
What Is Actually the Best Winter Skincare Routine?
Your skincare routine during the winter will depend on your specific skin needs.
However, there is a general winter skincare routine we can share that will help nourish your skin and keep it looking its best.
If you want to learn more about the skincare routine you can follow in the morning and evening in the winter, have a look below:
- Gentle cleanser: In the morning and evening, you should try to use sulfate- and phthalate-free skin cleansers to preserve your face’s natural oils. Typically, if you have dry skin during the winter, it’s recommended that you use a cream or milk cleanser with warm water to prevent irritation. You can try oil- and water-based cleansers if you don’t have dry skin.
- Serum: After you have cleansed your face, you’ll need to apply a face and eye serum. We recommend trying a hydrating serum with ingredients like glycerine, hyaluronic acid, and vitamin C. Using serums with these ingredients will protect your skin in the winter and help it absorb concentrated benefits such as brightness and moisture.
- Moisturizer: If you dislike using moisturizer, you’ll have to bite the bullet during the winter. This is because moisturizer is crucial during this season. After applying your serum, apply moisturizer to establish a protective barrier against winter dryness, supporting the skin’s upper layer in moisture retention. With the right moisturizer, you won’t suffer from flaky, dry, irritated, or inflamed skin.
What Are the Winter Skincare Tips for Healthy Skin?
Following the right skincare routine, you’ve already won half the battle against dry, chapped, flaky, and sensitive skin during the winter. Below are a few other tips you should follow if you want to enjoy healthy skin with a dewy, fresh glow:
- Use sunscreen daily, even when the weather looks overcast or grey, as the UV rays are still harmful.
- Invest in a quality humidifier to add moisture to the dry winter air, thus keeping your skin hydrated.
- Try a thicker moisturizer, especially if you don’t like to moisturize two to three times a day. It also helps if the moisturizer contains hyaluronic acid, lanolin, petrolatum, shea butter, or dimethicone.
- If you don’t want to irritate dry skin, exfoliate less and use less retinol.
- Use a hydrating lip balm to prevent your lips from becoming chapped.
- Try showering and washing your hands in cooler water as this will help prevent your skin from drying out.
Wrap-Up on Winter Skincare Tips You Need to Follow
Sticking to a skincare routine during the winter might be more difficult, but you must do it if you want to maintain healthy skin that looks and feels good to the touch.
It’s also important to ensure you’re using the appropriate winter skincare products, as your routine is pointless if you use the wrong things on your skin.
Luckily, as long as you keep the routine and tips we discussed in mind, you shouldn’t have any issues with dry skin during the winter.